I Have A Dream Too!


Yesterday marked the 50th anniversary of the iconic "Dream" speech from Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. From celebrity to activist, people flooded the Washington mall to commemorate the occasion. Personally, I don't really have very much to say about the event because the speakers really didn't say anything new. They didn't really say anything that was going to make me want to stand up and go out there and do something for my community that hasn't already been said or tried.

Except for Jamie Foxx. I got a kick out of him!

Jamie Foxx said something that a lot of people, including older activists, have said:

“What we need to do now is the young folks pick it up now, so that when we’re 87 years old, talking to the young folks, we can say it was me, Will Smith, Jay Z, Kanye, Alicia Keys, Kerry Washington, the list goes on and on.”

I mean can you even imagine if our modern day entertainers where as politically active as the entertainers were during the civil rights movement days? They are affected by the things that are going on in this country too. Even though they have a lot more mobility then us common folk, they still have issues with the things the rest of us go through. Because believe it of not, they are actually humans!

I know, it's hard to believe. But, it's true. They're human. Trust me!

I'm not saying that every black entertainer has to be politcally or actively conscious, I'm just saying that it would help that the people who are so infuental to child and adult alike, would step up to the plate and use their reach to speak for the people who hold them in such high regard. Just like elected representatives have to reach out to their constituents in order to get votes, entertainers have to reach out and relate to their fans in order to become famous. Why not use that reach for good?

Before I get hit over the head by how many famous people are our there doing their part for society, I would counter by saying that you're missing my point. I know this already. But in the context of the civil rights movement and the 50th anniversary of the "Dream" speech, wouldn't you agree they could do more? Especially the names that Jamie threw out there. It wasn't that long ago that Jay-Z was having a small beef with Harry Belefonte over him saying almost literally the same exact thing.

I would emplore those that names that Jamie basically begged to do and be more, to DO and BE more!

So, I have a dream myself. I have a dream, that when I acheive my dreams, I will use my power, reach and finances to do my part for my community, my culture, my country and my planet!

...and maybe I'm crazy, but Jamie Foxx has a knack for calling out things that eventually end up true. Does anyone remember what he said about Miley Cyrus? Don't worry, I'll post it!







Comments

Popular Posts